Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Silver Ravenwolf

*sigh* I hate to bring this topic up, but I guess it had to be done.
Ok, Silver Ravenwolf is controversial due to how she presents Wicca to the young teenagers that read her. In one book, she tells kids to lie to their parents about what it is and say all they are doing is studying angels. The problem with this is that they are lying. They should not lie to them.

Many people disapprove of the way Ravenwolf presents Wicca. It is often referred to as being "fluffy". Basically meaning she dumbs it down and also presents the good part.

Some people like her, many being teenagers. Some elder people also like the way she will present the information.

Silver Ravenwolf presents her information in a way that is easily understood to many people. She uses smaller terms to present this. She has written many books:

Many of her books are aimed for teenagers. This is another reason why she is controversial. Many people do not appreciate her aiming her books for teenagers, especially young ones, because many people do not believe that young Pagans are good. Often times, they are in it for rebellion. I have not read many of her books, but I do know that she does not like Christianity at all and will put it down. 

You can find her books on Amazon. She also has many items for sell. 

Now then, I personally do not approve of the way she chooses to approach Wicca and Paganism. I think that she is mainly gearing it for curious teenagers because she knows that she will make the money from that. One thing that I did not approve of that Ravenwolf will do is in her book "Teen Witch", she says that she has lost many job opportunities because she will tell the manager straight up that she is Pagan. I do not feel the need for this to be said. Unless she is taking a job at a church or something like that. But just going to the local Wal-Mart for a job interview and walking in and saying "Hi, I'm Silver and I'm Pagan" is not the way I would do anything. 

Hope this helps anyone! 

Blessed Be

2 comments:

  1. I've read To Ride a Silver Broomstick with a critical eye, and actually found it to be quite helpful. It's rather interactive; she includes many activities that urge you to think for yourself and actually DO things to see how they feel to you, while most books offer information and expect that you'll go out and use it on your own time.

    The problem lies in the fact that she uses the word Wicca to describe her path. It's a self-invented one, and she seems to use the word Wicca synonymous with Witchcraft. If a new witch were to pick up one of her books intending to learn Wicca, that person would be misguided and have to unlearn it all later if they wanted to join a coven. I read it when I was already familiar with Wicca, so I could spot the differences easily, and was still able to use parts of it to benefit my personal path.

    Also, some might find her writing style a little condescending.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never said that she is not useful, it's just many people do not like the way she approaches stuff. I do agree that some of her stuff is useful, but I have only read one book of her's. Therefore I cannot judge too strictly. My post was based solely on the hundreds of comments I saw from others and from the Elders I know.

    ReplyDelete