Friday, June 15, 2012

"I was Pagan before I knew it"


Many people, when you ask them about being Pagan (or Wiccan for those who are going to be technical) will say “I had been Pagan my whole life, I just never knew it”.
Now, many people who hear this are like “what? How can you be something and not know that you are?”
It’s simple. Many people who make this statement have somehow always felt a connection to nature or always believed that there was something else out there besides just one God. And when they start reading about Paganism, it is suddenly open to them that this is what they have believed their entire lives.
I hate to be cheesy, but this honestly was the case with me.
I grew up in a small town where Christianity is the main set religion. Everyone is a Christian. When I was younger, we used to go to church every once in a while until the church closed down. After that, we didn’t do much. I would sit outside and listen to my great-grandfather talk about the Bible, but there were a lot of loopholes in it that I wanted to figure out the answer to. Like, why would someone who says they love everything they created want to destroy it? And why should we live in fear of God all the time? Trust me, I went through a point in my life where I feared to do anything thinking he would kill me right then and there.
Then around Freshmen year in high school, I realized that I wasn’t feeling connected to God in any way. So I sat down to read the Bible. That didn’t go so well because I could not find any answers I wanted in it.
So I went from Freshmen year to summer after my Junior year just getting by. I didn’t have a specific religion that I followed, so I just told people “I believe in god” that’s it.
Summer of my Junior year, I met my boyfriend. The first thing he said to me was “you may not like me, I’m Pagan”. Now, coming from a Christian home, my initial response was “like Devil worshiping?” because that is all I had been taught. And he didn’t get mad about it, but goes “no, we worship a god and goddess and the reason we use spells is to incorporate nature into our lives” and I immediately understood everything he said.
And that is how I found Paganism. Someone can tell me something about it, and I will immediately understand what they are telling me and I know what I should do. Many of the things I am learning I somehow already knew.
And that is my story into it. Many people have different stories. Like picking up a book, seeing it in a freak Google search, their parents once was into it, there’s a ton.
Don’t judge a book by it’s cover.
Blessed Be all :)

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I've been really looking into this for a while! Is there any specific books you would recommend?
    Would you email me your response?
    @ lauramadrigal12@hotmail.com
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete